Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hanukkah mini-celebration


Neither Mr. R or I are Jewish, but I grew up and went to college in towns where Jewish culture was prevalent and celebrated.

I attended my first Hanukkah party in college. A boy I was dating invited me over to his family's first night celebration. The house was decorated in blue and silver. His mother made the most amazing latkas I ever had. And his nieces and nephews showed me how to play dreidel, although I am pretty sure the little one was cheating.
My favorite part of the night was when his Grandfather read the story on the Hanukkah miracle and we all said a blessing and his father lit the first.

The tradition, ceremony, and family traditions were just beautiful.

We were not invited to any Hanukkah parties this year so we decided to host out own. Ours is one night only complete with potato pancakes, corned beef, and a The Rugrats Hanukkah movie.

Shalom!


2 comments:

  1. Yum, I love latkes. We live in a neighborhood with several Jewish families. I kinda wish one of them would invite us over for some latkes and dreidel.

    My mom's father's family were Jews from Russia, but my grandfather wasn't really raised with many Jewish customs. His mom had a Jewish bakery in Los Angeles, but that was the extent of it. And then he married my Irish-Catholic grandmother.

    But, I still like latkes!

    Enjoy your night of Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun. Again, I wish we lived closer! Matt was raised Jewish and I was raised Catholic but neither of us are religious or celebrate any traditions other than exchanging a "holiday gift."

    ReplyDelete