Saturday, June 5, 2010

Saturday Morning:

It is 8:00 on Saturday morning, one week before school is out for summer.

As most of you know I am a planner and I like to have control over events to come. I was thinking about what my summer is going to look like...besides the obvs. of work and Republican stuff. And one word popped into my head "ATHLETE". This summer I really want to be an athlete.
(Me as of 2004)

It has been 6 years since I hopped out of the competitive swimming pool and walked away from practice, coaches, meets, and dreaded pool hair. And while I don't miss the early morning practices and LOOONG bus rides, I do miss the feeling of being strong, accomplished, and proud of myself and my body.

In the past year I have taken to running as my new sport. And I love the feeling over hitting a new distance or shaving sometime off my miles, but I am not giving running my all, probably because I tell myself that I am no longer an athlete. I am no longer on a team, I don't have a coach, or a set practice schedule and there is no "season" of competition.

I guess what I am saying is that my goal this summer is to discover what it means to be an adult athlete. What it means to be my own coach. What it means to make my own schedule, choose my own workout, and what it means to be proud of myself as I set my own challenges and make the clock my opponent.

I don't know where you are on your exercise journey. Are you a hardened athlete? A comfortable couch spectator? Or are you like me, fighting to get back in shape?

But I do challenge you to find your inner athlete this summer. And embrace the strides you make to becoming a fierce adult competitor.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the challenge. I always feel like I'm fighting to be back in shape...no matter what shape I'm in, I always want to be better, faster, stronger.

    ReplyDelete