Sunday, June 20, 2010

6/20: Happy Father's Day

Father's Day is always a hard holiday for me. For those of you who don't know, my dad died 10 years ago. And while 10 years may seem like a very long time, its not. I miss my dad so much sometimes. I missed him at my high school and college graduations. I missed him when I broke the 1,000 meter swimming record in college. I missed him walking me down the aisle at my wedding. I missed him when I bought my first house. And I am sure I will miss him a thousand times more throughout my life.

I used to spend Father's Day wallowing in self-pitty angry that my dad was taken from me. But now I choose to remember how awesome he was.
  • His crazy laugh and how he loved the three stooges.
  • His passion for art and his black and white sketches.
  • His glasses and the imprints they would leave on his nose after a day of wear.
  • I loved how his hair would stick up in crazy directions in the morning.
  • His old blue pick-up truck and how happy he was when he traded it in for the explorer.
  • I remember how much he loved food and would try almost anything.
  • He loved taking trips to new places.
  • He was incredibly patient, Mom and I would tease him and call him Job.
  • How he could never find a parking spot that he liked, so we would end up taking a guided tour of the parking lot.
  • How much he loved teaching and touching the hearts of his students.
  • He made up silly nicknames for EVERYONE.
  • Any boy that called our house was always Gerritt Kenyon, no matter if the boy actually said his name or not.
  • He loved the shore, especially the boardwalk and Manco's Pizza
  • He always dressed for work in a shirt and tie. Even if he was just going to ruin his clothes with paint, chalk or clay.
  • His tie collection is enormous! I kept a few, they sit on a special shelf in my closet.
Miss you Dad!
If heaven had mail delivery I would be sending you card and new tie. But instead you will have to settle for the impact you had on my life and how much I still love you.

1 comment: