Monday, June 14, 2010

Pot calling kettle...

Why, oh why do I go to Mr. R's Republican meetings?
  • I go to the meetings so that I can be informed. I can learn who the candidates are, what they support, and who they are tied to.
  • I want to be an educated voter, making decisions based on my own opinions and not what someone wants me to think.
  • Tonight's Young Republican meeting was informative and infuriating.
  • Informative:Representative Mike Weinstein spoke about party politics and the damage that can be done when the party stops listening to its people. (Hello Republicans! This is your wake-up call). He voted against Senate Bill 6 (and the shit-storm of unfunded mandates that came with it). As a result of his stand against the bill he has been removed of his deputy whip post and none of his bills were passed this session. (And Republicans like to say the Democrats play dirty).

  • Infuriating: Senator Thrasher Spoke for 20 minutes. He glossed over issues, left no time for questions, and proceeded to make education the scape got for all of society's problems. Ironically he spoke about small government for 10 minutes and spent the other 10 lobbying for Obamaesque policies (Race to the top anyone?)
  • And....there was also enough filibustering from the McCollum camp to make Robert Byrd proud.
I realize the 2010 elections are along way off. But in my part of the county primaries begin in August and campaign circus is off and running. This year my heart does not want to vote the party line. This year my brain cannot fathom how empty promises will fix the state budget, improve country spending, and keep our schools running. This year I want to vote for what is right, not what is expected.

2 comments:

  1. I always wish I were more informed than I am, but find it so hard to get through the hogwash. I want a spreadsheet of candidates and issues with simple yes/no answers to how they stand. Honestly this why I like to absentee ballot. Although it's not a "fun" as going in person, I don't feel panicked when all of a sudden I'm voting on something I'm not sure about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can give you my two cents, vote Sink in 2010.

    ReplyDelete