Monday, September 6, 2010

A home improvement post with a few bedroom updates

So I had some big plans for this weekend. I wanted to knock-out a majority of the big stuff in our bedroom and cross out a few things on our very long to-do list. I also wanted to spend some much needed quality time with Mr. R.

So in short, we accomplished A LOT, but compromised here and there so we could still enjoy our holiday weekend.

Goals:

1. Finish painting the bedroom. We needed to finish the closet wall, the sink area, and the window wall. After lots of taping, edging, and rolling I can finally say good-bye to our Himalayan Mist paint cans. The bedroom walls are done!
2. Finish stenciling the two walls in the bedroom. Let me begin my saying the stencil I chose for the bedroom is crazy labor intensive and our bedroom is really big!
In retrospect I should have chosen a stencil that required less paint and time, but I do love it and I think the walls look amazing!

3. Buy curtains rods and hang our curtains. We did buy the rods, thanks Target! But my grandparents actually own the drill we use and they are on vacation. The curtains will have to wait until next weekend.

4. The gallery wall!
I love collages and I love pictures so it makes sense that I love me some gallery wall. I grabbed a bunch of white Ikea frames, plus this amazing black one (that may get a coat if yellow spray paint soon) and made my own photo wall. There was lots of leveling and nailing done by Mr. R and lots of styling and back-seat nailing done by me. Pictures will soon be installed in those frames, I promise!
We always plan out the arrangement on the floor first. It's sort of our version of measure twice, cut once.
Mr. R is the level master. I pick the design of the gallery and choose pictures, but he is in charge of making sure they hang straight!
This is my absolute favorite ETSY find!
5. The closet door. It is super old and a hideous grey-green color. I chose to attack it with spray paint. The spray paint just bubbled up. We are tabling the door project.

6. A trip to Marshalls. Mr. R was in need of a nightstand. Currently I hog the only nightstand in the room with my water cups, glasses, books, and laptop. I found a nightstand that I LOVED for him at Pier 1, but couldn't handle the $100 price tag. So we settled for this beauty at Marshalls.
I found the lamp there too. The lamp shade actually matched the lamp base that currently sits on my nightstand. (Yay for matchy-matchy!) And the London phonebooth is a little nod to our last vacation. I love it!

7. Lastly... I am now the proud owner of a belt sander! (Thank you Home Depot!) I can't wait to tackle my vanity and our super old dresser next weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting so much accomplished. The stenciling looks great...you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete