Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Beef Boor-geen-yohn

I have been trying to pronounce this the French way for two days now. And our resident french expert Mr. R keeps telling me I am wrong. I guess I don't have the French nasal sound down. Sue me, I am a Native America and I can do one hell of a war call. I think that beats a French accent any day.

But back to what you really care about... my dinner and the easiest beef stew recipe in the world.

Last Wednesday Mr. R and I headed to the big box Mecca called Costco and stocked up on organic beef and chicken. I was feeling a little crazy and bought 3 pounds of stew meat on a whim. I separated the beef in 1.5 pound portions and prayed for a brilliant recipe that could be made in the crockpot.
I of course went to the crockpot guru Stephanie O'Dea and she had a copycat Julia Child recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon on her blog. Beef, bacon, butter and red wine? Yes, please!
At 6 am I threw 2 cups of baby carrots, one sliced onion, half of the stew meat, 6 slices of bacon, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 2 cups of red wine in the crock. See, EASIEST meal ever. Turned the crock to low and literally ran out of the house. Mr. R stirred our dinner a few times (during the work day) and in the end we had an amazing beef stew. Julia Child is a genius.
I am a big fan of potatoes in my beef stew, but unfortuantly they did not fit in my crock with all of the other yummy goodness. Instead I boiled a bunch of little red guys and made horseradish mashers. I used this recipe by Tyler Florence, but I halved the recipe and opted for no butter, and added a little shredded cheddar cheese.

The potatoes are amazing! Seriously, even if you don't make the easiest beef stew ever at least try the potatoes!

2 comments:

  1. When I backpacked through Europe (in college) my friend would always make fun of me trying to pronounce things in French - I have no grasp on the accent either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should get together one day and just pronounce things wrong AND drink a lot of wine. I think it would hilarious!

    ReplyDelete