Monday, September 13, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Chili

On my last Costco trip I bought a giant tub of blue cheese. I have no idea why... it seemed like a great bargain and at the time I guess I felt I needed a GALLON of the stuff. So now I am forced to find way to use my giant container of stinky cheese. Thus, buffalo chicken chili made in the crock topped with blue cheese.

I adapted a recipe from my girl Rachael Ray and prepped the ingredient list Sunday night while the Eagles were playing Green Bay.

I used a 4 quart slow cooker and layered my ingredients in the following order.

1. Two skinless thawed chicken breasts
2. Ten carrot chips chopped. The original recipe called for 1 medium carrot so I figured 10 chips should equal that.
3. Three ribs of celery chopped
4. One medium sized red onion
5. A 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
6. Two tablespoons of chili seasoning (I used the McCormick original chili blend)
7. Half cup of Hot Sauce
8. Three tablespoons of butter

Then using a spatula mix up your layers until it looks like this.
Plug in the crock and set it to low. And then go enjoy 8 hours of freedom. Dinner will be waiting when you get home :)

And it will look like this.... (beans, tomato-ey goodness, and lots of shredded chicken)
The verdict: I LOVED this! It was spicy, but good spicy. I could have eaten two bowls. Mr. R liked it but only after the addition of sour cream and blue cheese.

Rachael Ray's version is much prettier, but I think the taste is probably the same.
Note: Ms. Ray uses ground chicken.
I had planned on serving the chili with a green salad, but opted for the yellow goodness of corn muffins.


2 comments:

  1. That recipe from Rachel Ray is one of my all time favorites! I heart those corn muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I do the same thing with wholesale...buy way more than I need because it was a good deal. ...because of that problem I'm thinking about stopping membership. I wonder if I'd save money by just buying less. Or maybe I just need more self control.

    ReplyDelete