Sunday, January 9, 2011

Roasted Pear Salad

One of my favorite running/eating blogs belongs to Megan of MegaNerdRuns. She lives local so she is my go to for possible races to run in Florida and restaurants to frequent. One of her favorite lunch stops features a roasted pear salad and I have been wanting to try it for a long time.
Photo credit: MegaNerd

Today I figured why wait? I bet I can make it at home.
From what I can tell, the salad contains, baby greens, gorgonzola cheese, red onion, pecans, and roasted pears.

I am a "use what you have" cook so my salad contains spring mix, strawberries (I like color and additional fruit), red onion, and blue cheese (in the form of the dressing).
I found out that you should roast pears one at a time on the stove top in a really hot pan. This did not work for me as I had three pears about to go bad and no time to watch the pears cook and pray they wouldn't burn.
Instead I chopped my pears into big bite sized chunks and combined them with 1 Tbs. of butter and 2 Tbs. of brown sugar.
At first I planned to use 1/4c. of sugar, but ended up only need half of what I planned.
(Live and learn).

I put the pears in a 9x13 pan and placed them in my 450 degree oven for 10 minutes.
They smell delicious when you take them out and they are squishy and brown.

I added them to my salad did a quick toss with the blue cheese dressing.
And served it in my favorite bowls. (Thanks Cubbage Family!)
I am not sure if this is the same salad that MegaNerd raves about, but it is GOOD!
It just might be my new favorite fruity salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment