Saturday, January 23, 2010

61 years to celebrate & dominos!

My grandparents celebrated their 61st Anniversary yesterday. We hosted a huge party at our house last year in their honor, but this year things were a bit more mellow. Mr. R and I were invited to their home for BBQ and Mexican Train Dominos. This is by far my grandmother's favorite game.

I was a little stumped at what to get them for a 61st anniversary present, I mean they really have everything and they are not fans of going out to eat. (I come from a long line of crazy hippies who constantly worry about processed food and restaurant quality. I swear I get it honest!). I found a cute card about perfect pairs @ Target and one of the examples was popcorn and a movie. This was my inspiration, a container of caramel popcorn with mixed nuts and the Julie & Julia DVD. (My grandmother has been talking about this movie for quite sometime).

It amazes me that my grandparents have been together for so long. They are wonderful role models for how to stay married and continue to grow in love for each other. They lived through the great depression, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. They raised two daughters, three grandchildren, and always opened their home to whomever needed a place to stay. They are complete opposites, my grandfather is constantly on the move and a bit hot tempered (I am very much like him) and my grandmother is patient, calm, and has never to my knowledge raised her voice. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to still have them in my life. I can only hope that Mr. R and I are as committed and loving to each other at that age.

After dinner Dominoes ensued. This is a very heated and competitive game in my family. I won the first two rounds only to be stomped later by my grandfather & husband.
And as usual Simon had to be part of the action.

Oh , and this is my Uncle Robert. He is my grandfather's brother and a financial guru. I love when he comes to visit because it is almost like Dave Ramsey is sitting in my living room. Let's hope a tiny bit of his wisdom rubs off on me in the coming weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I love Mexican Train Dominoes! My brother-in-law brought it to my family.

    My grandparents were also married for over 60 years!

    ReplyDelete