Thursday, March 10, 2011

Feel good soup.

I took a sick day from work yesterday. I needed to get blood work taken and see my doctor. Unfortunately that took most of my day. To be honest, I have been feeling really run down lately. A combination of allergies, being over tired, and a lack of iron in my blood stream.
My doctor recommended that I add more protein to my diet and get more sleep.I followed her advice today by taking a nap and making this soup.
This is a seriously easy soup and it might just be my new go to, feel good soup.
Since I don't really follow recipes and I love to use the crockpot, my version of Ms. Ray's soup is shown below.

Step 1: Make cheater chicken stock by cooking two chicken breasts in 4 cups of chicken broth. I cook the chicken on high, in the crock, with some salt, pepper, and dill.
(This takes about 2.5 hours)
Step 2: Saute the trinity of veggies (carrots, celery, red onion) in two tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. (7 minutes)
Step 3: Add one container of grape tomatoes to the mix and 1 cup of dry white wine. Let the wine reduce on medium/low heat.
Step 4: Add your broth to the veggie mixture and some fresh parsley & dill.
Step 5: Shred your cooked chicken.
Step 6: Add your chicken to the soup and place it back in the crock-pot until you are ready to serve.
Since this is supposed to be chicken noodle soup I cook some small pasta separately and add it to the soup when I serve it.
It is seriously good!

No comments:

Post a Comment