Monday, February 15, 2010

What do Republicans eat for dinner?

Well, in casa de Republican we are cooking up some jalapeno corn pudding in the crock. This recipe comes from the lovely Stephanie O'Dea. We have made this before to go with BBQ, but I was hoping it would pair with a simple green salad for our lunches this week. The recipe can be found here. (I know it doesn't look so hot in the crock, but trust me its GOOD!)
For dinner tonight I am on my own. Mr. R is attending a fund raising dinner and I opted out. In truth when it comes to How I Met Your Mother & Big Bang Theory vs. Republican chit-chat, the TV always wins.

I have been craving quiche for a few weeks now, but its not a fave for Mr. R. I would like to say that Costco inspired this quiche. I went on Saturday to do our bimonthly shop and walked away with giant asparagus (see picture below), Roma tomatoes, Gruyere cheese, and enough eggs for an army (the smallest package contains 36).

We didn't have any pie crust so I figured I would do a cross between a fritatta and a quiche.

To begin I roasted asparagus with the usual suspects. (olive oil, salt, and pepper), for 15 mins @ 450 degrees.

Then I whipped 5 eggs and added that to 2.5 cups of cheese and a small sauteed red onion.

I poured that into a pie plate, added the asparagus, and finally slice up some Roma tomatoes for the topping.

Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes until it looks like this.

Tonight I am eating this with a romaine salad with strawberries.

2 comments:

  1. Impressive. I don't think I could muster up motivation to eat for one My meals as a single girl were pretty pathetic, such as bowl of cereal for dinner, snack after work to the point I don't need dinner, and my personal fav - smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are days I am like that too. Truthfully, I happen to love cereal night, but the call of fritatta was just too strong on monday.

    ReplyDelete