Sunday, February 21, 2010

Contentment.


I love blogging. I love that I can write my thoughts and store them to look back on. I love that I can share part of my life with you and that likewise you let me peak into your daily routines, your homes, and your traditions. And while that is wonderful it sometimes causes a little bit of blogger envy.

I recently have been stalking home blogs and staring in awe, wonder, and jealousy at the beauty of your homes and how talented you all are at decorating, renovating and interior design. I look at your travel pages and see the wonderful trips you are planning or have taken. And at the same time I am envious of your exotic visits and memories. Sometimes blogging makes it very hard to be content.

Today Mr.R and I hosted my grandparents for lunch, and in doing so we needed to clean house. We scrubbed the kitchen, waxed the floors, tidied the closets and bathrooms, and cleaned our sun porch.

As I was setting the dining room table I looked around at the beauty of our home. I saw the stenciling that took me hours, the framed photos of our travels, the mementos we have picked up from various dates, and the furniture we painstakingly saved for and finally purchased. And I realized that my home, still very much a work in progress, is just as beautiful and just as comforting as yours.

I think it is very hard to be content today. TV commercials tell us to buy more. Everyone is always having a sale. And if you can't pay now, there is always credit. And I think it is just in my nature to want more. But really, how much stuff does one girl need?

I know it isn't quite March, but I think I have decided on my new goal. I am going to work on being content with what I have. I will still read your posts and stare in awe at your creativity and talent, but I will do it without my green jealous twin.

After all, green just isn't my color.

1 comment:

  1. So true! I have found that some blogs in my reader (not yours!) I need to hit "mark all as read" sometimes. It's just too much.

    ReplyDelete