Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dinner Alfresco

I think it has been stated multiple times on the blog how I cherish the time I get to spend with Mr. R. Most weeks we seem to go in opposite direction only having two or three nights to spend together. And most nights we just let the time pass us by as we watch TV or check our friend's facebook status. We do have dinner together, but once again usually with the TV on in the background or books in front of our faces.

One of my favorite blogs, Love Actually, has me inspired to make the most of my marriage and not just settle for romance on weekends and thoughtfulness on holidays. In the past two months I have been striving for one date night a week without cellphones and the television. And one dinner a week that is eaten at the table with proper silverware, a centerpiece, and some ambience either in the form of candles or music.

If you are like me you are wondering if the outcome is worth all of the effort. And the answer is a RESOUNDING YES! Mr. R and I are sharing more about our days and goals than ever. Even though we have been together for 6 years we are still sharing new stories and finding out more about each other. We are laughing more and its making it a lot easier to little the little stuff roll off my back. (i.e. It's easier to forgive leaving the toilet seat up when we have just had a great dinner together).

I thought I would share a sample of an at home date night with you.

Dinner: With the help of Gordon's Fisherman I made shrimp scampi (in the microwave 7 mins), couscous (Neareast Brand 6 mins), steamed green peas (7 mins) and a green salad.

Music: I am loving Carla Bruni's French Pop music right now. (Her voice is beautiful and I just love a French accent).

Table: Mr. R was in charge of the candles.

Dinner was made and on the table in 15 minutes, which was a necessaiety considering we were both starving from the gym.

I will be honest though and tell you we ate this in our pajamas with two daschhounds begging at our feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment