Saturday, February 20, 2010

An evening in Rome.

Mr. R and I have a been bitten by the travel bug. We both love to travel off the beaten path and try new foods, discover new places, and take TONS of pictures. (I am a scrapbooker after all).Unfortunately our wallets aren't always on the same wavelength as our need to travel. This means I need to get creative with what we have available.

This whole week I have been craving pizza and Mr. R had been craving a night on the town... combine them together and you get an evening in Rome, without the 10 hour flight, customs check, and no need for your Italian dictionary.We left Casa de Republican @ 7 (after we made it to the gym, day 1 for you Sharon!) and headed for downtown in search for the Duomo. (It just so happens that Memorial Presbyterian has a very similar dome).We walked the cobbled streets to the Piazza de Navona where we stumbled upon the Pantheon and passed the Trevi fountain. (I forgot to throw in a few coins).For dinner, I found a little restourante and feasted on a calzone (stuffed with spinach and tomatoes for me) and veal parmigiana (for Mr. R).To end the evening we strolled along the streets eventually finding the bridges of venice, a few gondalas waiting for willing patrons, and murano glass on display.And made it to the Vatican to see the Pope's window box, the beautiful stained glass, and the attached plaza.And of course, life is not complete without gelato eaten with fresh berries (or peanutbutter cups in my case).This concludes our night on the town. I can't believe how much fun it was to pretend. And I am grateful Mr. R indulged my fantasy and played along. I am already planning next months trip. I think a trip to the UK might be in order...

2 comments:

  1. That is so neat - I am smiling from ear to ear.

    I too, was bit by the travel bug. Mine bit me as a little girl growing up with a father that worked for Northwest Airlines. Like you, my wallet does not allow for all the adventures I would like to take.

    I did, however, recently decide on my next adventure and purchase Fromers's Peru...now just to decide when and how long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Peru many years ago for a missions trip to Trujillo. I loved it! Where is Fromers located?

    ReplyDelete