Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

I decided to give up shopping. Recently I have been craving material things. I have wanted to gain significance, importance, and praise through things... new clothes, shoes, accessories, or even just the trill of a great deal. My purchases haven't been extravagant, our bank account hasn't even noticed the hit. But I notice the hit. I notice that I am focusing more on my appearance than my devotions. I am spending more time agonizing over my jean size and the new j.crew catalogue than I spend in the word. For the next 40 days I will be putting away the debit card and focusing on gaining my significance as a daughter of the King. I will still be buying food, necessary toiletries, and household products. And if you happen to see me in Target, having a weak moment in the shoe section, hold a sister accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment