Monday, April 4, 2011

Seriously Piper?!?!

So today I went to the doctor for a routine 34 week appointment. Height, blood pressure, weight, urine, and belly measurement. I am usually in and out under 15 minutes.

But instead... I was at the hospital for 4.5 hours.
My weight fluctuated crazily this week, I am down a few pounds. And in turn my blood pressure jumped to 150/110. I usually measure at 100 or 110 over 70. Needless to say my doctor was concerned. She sent me to labor and delivery saying things like preeclampsia, bed rest, and possible premature delivery and a NICU unit in Jacksonville.
Fortunately this story has a happy ending. I am currently blogging from my couch, not on bed rest, and Piper is still hanging out in my uterus. Hopefully for 6 more weeks! The doctors and nurses have no idea why my blood pressure spiked. Piper is healthy with a strong heart beat and she angrily kicked the hospital monitors for the entire 3 hours we were there. And before being released my blood pressure was down to normal levels. The nurse also told me I had beautiful urine, the best she has seen all day. Apparently the 1.5 gallons of water I drink on a daily basis are working. Preeclampsia has been ruled out because my blood, plasma, and protein levels are all in normal range.
(belly monitor for heart rate and contractions)

As a scientist I want some answers as to why my body freaked out. But apparently there are none. For 6 more weeks I will grow this baby. And then maybe, hopefully, she will have some answers or at least she will be so cute I won't mind spending my Monday night in the hospital.

Also please excuse my sad hospital self portrait.
You do get to see my new hair cut though!

3 comments:

  1. So glad everything is okay! Hard to believe just 6 more weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I think I am still shocked that it happened. Hopefully the rest of this pregnancy will be uneventful. Let's all cross our fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew, I'm glad you're both okay. Sometimes our bodies like to play tricks on us, I suppose. Praying Piper happily stays put for another six weeks with no more surprises like yesterday's.

    ReplyDelete