Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Life's too short not to eat cheese grits...

Our first fall in Florida, Mr. R and I were invited to a campaign dinner with Congressman Mica. I was incredibly nervous and did not want to go. We knew literally NO ONE at the time and I was convinced the dinner would be long, awkward, and boring. But being the good Republican wife I put on my best black dress and shoes and prepared for the worst.

We were seated with people 20 years our senior who eyed us suspiciously and said NOTHING! Awkward does not even begin to describe how I was feeling. Soon it was time to order. I had settled on crab cakes, but had not selected a side. The woman to my right said..."Honey, cheese grits rock! You gotta try the grits. Life's too short not too!" I laughed, took her advice, and ordered my first ever plate of cheese grits.

That woman saved me. She opened up the lines of communication at our table and made the stoic republicans we were seated with, crack their first smiles of the night. As dinner was served, conversation flowed around the table and Mr. R and I started to be accepted by our fellow dinner guests.

By the time the plates were cleared Mr. R had made business contacts, the YRs had a Mica event on the calendar, and my love of cheese grits was confirmed.
Tonight Mr. R and I ate a recreation of that meal. Crabcakes (ala Costco), cheese grits (with cayenne pepper), and mango salsa, (thank you Trader Joes).
If you haven't given grits a try remember Helen's advice, "Life's too short not to eat cheese grits!".

1 comment: