Monday, March 1, 2010

March 1: Teacher of the Year

This year Linda was nominated for Teacher of the Year at our school. She is truly a phenomenal teacher and I can say that from experience. Linda was my team leader and mentor my first year of teaching. She was patient with my newbie questions never once sounding exasperated or annoyed when I came asking again and again about forms, parent contact, and school policy. Her patience and kindness have been honed from years of teaching sixth graders and answering their endless questions about world history.

Linda was a guest speaker in my science class today. She gave up part of her teaching time to help my students understand how ears work and why some people are born deaf while others become deaf over time. She was engaging, gracious, and informative.
And lastly what I love about Linda is that on her way out, after 25 minutes of talking and answering questions, she thanked me for allowing her to come speak to my class. She gave up her time to help me out and yet she thanked me.

It is all of these qualities and so many more that separate Linda into that special category of teachers who make a difference and deserve to be called Teacher of the Year. Congratulations Mrs. Markum and thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment