Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas at our house.

 I love going to friends and neighbor's homes at Christmas. I love seeing their decorations, the ornaments they choose for their tree.  My friend Jill decorates hers with birs she has collected over the years, my Mom had a beach themed tree last year with shells and ornaments collected from our vacations to St. Augustine, Ocean City NJ, and Hawaii. I am a big fan of mantles. Growing up both my parents and grandparents had fireplaces and each Christmas the mantle would be full of garland, ornaments, pinecones, lights, and Christmas cards. I love seeing how other people wrap presents. It's a great way to learn new decorating ideas. Do you use traditional wrapping paper, comics from the newspaper, or handmade?
Our house this Christmas is centered around our chalkboard wall. From yesterday's post you know I turned the chalkboard wall into a fireplace complete with a mantle. I hung our stockings, added Mom's handmade felt tree for Pip, and then I started decorating. The red beaded garlands came from IKEA, and the snowflake garland was created from Dollar Tree snowflakes and kitchen twine. The printables along the mantle are free subway prints I found on pinterest. 


I have always wanted a place to hang our Christmas cards and I discovered this tutorial on pinterest. The large Santa ornament came from the Dollar Tree, the ribbon I had on hand, and the cards are held to the ribbon with clothes pins.
To decorate the outside of the house I raided our garage and the decorations drawer. The trunk used to be in our foyer it's covered with an old tartan table cloth. 
On the trunk is an 4ft tree, our dachshund lamp, dressed in a Santa hat, and a glass hurricane filled with pinecones collected in the neighborhood. The red lanterns were a leftover from Pip's 1st birthday and I am hoping from the street they look like red Christmas ornaments
. To end this post I need to give a shout out to Mr. R. who hung the lights yesterday afternoon. He really wanted to catch up on DVRed TV, but he hung lights instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment