Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thankful 8: To Have Known Tim Supko

Last night Tim Supko left this world. He had fought a long battle with cancer and he did so with bravery, with kindness, and when I saw him last, a smile. Tim and I taught together for 5 years and I am honored to have shared the halls with him. Tim loved math, he inspired students, he had incredibly high standards and he demanded that our students rise to meet them. He loved America, he fought for our country in the Air Force and every Veteran's day he would wear his flight suit and explain to our students why he choose to fight for our freedoms and why he was honored to still wear the uniform. Tim loved food. He always had the best restaurant recommendations and he knew how to find a good deal. His great sense of humor defused many a parent conference and he did not shy away from voicing his opinion. Tim taught me to trust my instincts as a teacher. He was always smiling. And while I know he is in a much better place. And I will see him again someday. My heart hurts, my eyes are welling up, and I am selfishly missing him. The saying "to teach is touch lives forever" holds true with Tim. 
"There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, the light remains."

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. My daughter had Mr. Supko in grades 6-8 at PBMS and loved him dearly. Her 8th grade year was when his cancer was discovered. I will never forget him attending & speaking at her 8th grade formal. We were all in tears. He was so brave. We lost a great teacher & a great person in Tim.

    ReplyDelete