Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful for friends.

I think the best friends in life are those that let you now where you stand. They are the people you can tell your whole life story to. They are the people who listen, judge you, and love you anyway. I have had very few best friends in life.
In fact, I only count three.
Nicole is my best friend and we met at 18. She was letting her head be slammed into an closing elevator door and I was crying my eyes out over being homesick. She made me laugh, I stopped crying, we bonded over diner food and tequila shots. She is my best friend to this day and also the reason I can no longer stomach tequila. I can call her and talk about nonsense for hours. She can call me about work and I try to give good advice. We graduated together. We were roommates for a summer and hall-mates for two years. She kept me sane through organic chemistry labs and I helped her in physics. She stood next to me as my maid of honor at my wedding. She cried with me during my first year of marriage when life was tough. And she helped me pack up and prepare for my new life in Florida when we left DC. Nicole holds no prisoners. She doesn't lie or sugar coat. You could trust her with your life. And I am so honored that she has chosen me to be her friend.
Meet Danielle.
We teach together. My first year of teaching she was too cool for me. My second year we bonded over a love for science and the overwhelming demands of teaching middle school. She laughs with me, cries with me, listens to my silly stories about republican stuff, and gives me fashion advice. (Example #1: NO HOOKER SHOES AT SCHOOL) She was the first person I told when I found out I was pregnant. She shared in my relief that it finally happened and rejoiced with me that our baby is actually healthy and growing. Danielle is the reason I started running again. She also keeps me honest about my weight watchers points. She keeps me real and grounded. She is our teacher of the year for 2010-2011. She deserves this award more than you can imagine. Her dedication to the school and her students is unfathomable.
And lastly, there is Mr. R. I never thought I would have a best friend who is a boy. But as we become more comfortable with each other (in each year of marriage). I find myself sharing my innermost secrets with him. I want him to know my hopes, my dreams, and my random thoughts. I love coming home and comparing our days over dinner. I love our talks in bed at night. I love that we read together and I am starting to understand his passions. I love that I share more than a bed, a ring, and a name with my husband. Life is so much better when you have someone you love, you can talk to, and you can trust.

3 comments:

  1. Awww! Seriously crying over here! I am so thankful for you! Lord knows that I've needed your strength, kind words, support and advice this year. THANK YOU for always being there for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, and a great bunch of people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really sweet and heartfelt post. I'm willing to bet your friends would say the same things about you.

    ReplyDelete