Wednesday, November 3, 2010

High hopes, pie in the sky hopes...

Today I had my yearly goal setting meeting. When I worked in the business world I would set monthly and yearly goals, but the outcome of those goals was dependent solely on me.

Now that I teach, my yearly goal is based on the children I am given and how I can get them to perform on the state standardized tests and performance monitoring tests. Going from business to education was quite a shock to the system and the pay-check... but what alarms me the most is that in business you are graded ONLY on your personal performance, but in education your performance is based on your students, their dedication to learning, and their home life and any baggage they carry from home to the classroom.
Has teaching always been like this? As educators are we all just another cog in the big government machine? I can't help but wonder about the FCAT scores that will haunt me in 2011. Will they put me on the bad egg scale like Veruca Salt? Will anyone take into account the motivation of my students and their dedication to my class?

If Thrasher's newly acquired state Senate seat tells me anything, I am in for another fight over pay and performance based assessments...

2 comments:

  1. I tip my hat to teachers; you really can't win. Teachers work crazy hours, pull ridiculous amounts of extra duty, get paid peanuts and then get blamed when someone's precious child doesn't get the grade their mommy thinks he or she deserves.

    I'm not sure what grade you teach, but if it's older kids, I think their dedication, or lack thereof, should definitely be considered. For the most part, little people are still eager and willing to learn and follow the rules. Those big kids are scary! :)

    ReplyDelete