Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier...

Today I am thankful for advanced technology.

This morning I took a half day from work and Mr. R and I made a trip to the sonogram office for an official ultrasound with 3-D imaging. Our baby is very stubborn and uncooperative so we do not know the gender yet, but we did get to spend 40 minutes on the ultrasound table watching our baby wave, suck its thumb, flip around, and practice saluting.
As I teacher I meet ultra-proud parents every year that tell me their child is advanced, gifted and brilliant. Today I saw myself in 10 years and I am TOTALLY one of those parents. As our baby waved and did beautiful flipturns in my uterus. I was already saying he/she is very advanced in waving and will be an excellent swimmer just like his/her mom. :)
I promised myself that my blog would not turn into a baby crazy chronology of my pregnancy, but there are just some stories I really want to share and save to look back on someday. I also really like sharing these moments with Mr. R. He could not stop smiling at the picture on the monitor above us. He watched for every shift, movement, and facial expression.

I am so grateful that ultrasounds exist and we will get to have so many of them. Being able to see the baby every four weeks is an amazing privilege and I am so thankful I live in a country where this technology exists and is so easily accessible.
Oh, and the title of the post comes from a favorite song of mine by the Killers. The song, All the things that I've done, is great to run to and the chorus states; "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier". Our baby must have saluted 20 times in the appointment today and I couldn't help, but laugh at all the times I have listened to and run to this song in the last few months. Perhaps, this baby will share my taste in music? Or maybe we have a future soldier on our hands?

5 comments:

  1. you just made me cry. and i demand to see the chronological growth of your tummy documented in pictures every week or so, even though I see you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE share all the baby stuff you want. I love seeing ultrasound pictures. Congrats on seeing your superior swimmer/super smart/highly advanced waving/saluting baby today. It will never get old. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring on the baby-crazy chronology...that's what a blog is for :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures of my grandchild. Stubborn and uncooperative, now let me think, where have I seen that trait before? I know, the baby's father and his two brothers not to mention their father!
    Can't wait to see more pictures in the upcoming months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the ultrasound pic! Of course you should have lots of "baby talk" on the blog...it will be there so you can look back on what your thoughts were during the process...I would have loved to have had my blog during my pregnancy. I cannot wait to find out if you are team blue or pink! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete