Monday, November 1, 2010

It's November?

Seriously!

That is how I felt when I arrived at school this morning with no plans and no computer. I left the house without my teacher bag! Once I started teaching, I acquired a big red bag that houses my computer, papers to grade, all my pens (I am somewhat Monk-ish & only write with one type of pen) and my lesson plan book. Today my whole teaching life was left at home on the coffee table!
After a few moments of panic followed by yoga breathing I sucked it up and went in search of a spare computer, notes on the Earth's layers, and a Bill Nye video from the library. Lesson Saved! And the best part, my kids had no idea I was unprepared... score 1 for me!
I am excited for November... it is my second favorite month. In Florida the temperature drops, sweaters are worn daily, running in the mid afternoon sun feels glorious, and of course all the delicious Fall foods and pumpkin recipes.
With the election tomorrow and Republican meetings out the wa-zoo I think I am on my own for most dinners this week. So bring on the pumpkin! I think this week I will be cooking up butternut squash soup, pumpkin pasta, and pumpkin waffles (Thank you Trader Joes!)
And the pictures... Mr. R is back to playing his trumpet. The pups are NOT amused!

But, you know what they say about guys who play the trumpet...

4 comments:

  1. I love November too...fall weather, football season and it is our wedding anniversary month..and of course Thanksgiving! I loved the Halloween party pics...that looked like so much fun! I actually observed at a middle school all day today so that is crazy you did not have all your things and still pulled it all together...that is a true sign of a good teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you like middle school? I hear that you either love it or hate it. Luckily, my 7th graders crack me up so I think I am safe :) And Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous, if I ever pulled out that lesson it would be the day a pile of administrators come walking through my door! NO VIDEOS! YOU'RE REASSIGNED. (Although I have snuck in 2 videos this year, and reassignment to an "A" school isn't really a punishment, is it?)

    No sweaters here in South Florida, but I am looking forward to the cool front supposedly coming through this weekend.

    Enjoy the Pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reassigned to an A school is not what I would call to a punishment. And at the last workshop we attended they said videos provide vital background knowledge and contextual clues for struggling and less cultured students. Whoever told you no videos is an idiot...

    ReplyDelete