Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Love this story...

In doing Ali Edwards Week in the Life, it taught me that scrapbooking or blogging isn't so much about the picture, the camera, or the person behind the camera. The point of your scrapbook page or blog post should be the story. What do you want to remember? What was the point of capturing the picture if you can't remember or don't bother to tell the story behind it? A picture may be worth 1,000 words, but is it really worth your time if you don't share the words? 
Last night we headed over to my grandparents for dinner. Piper had just woken up from a nap and could have easily gone right back down for 20 more minutes. My grandmother offered to rock her while I set the table and my mom cooked. It was in that moment I was reminded just how lucky I am. 
My grandmother is still living and loving my own daughter. Gathered around the dinner table last night were four generations of Morris women. We are very different in our own right. But I can see the physical resemblance passed down from generation to generation. As well as the sass and spunk that makes us Morris women after all. 

Once dinner was over and the table cleared we moved to the living room for conversation. My grandmother and grandfather took turns talking with Piper teaching her letters and sounds. Marveling at how she has learned to control her head and neck and laughing at her new trick, sticking out her tongue. I am so blessed that they live so close and can be a constant presence in Piper's life. 
Before we left my Mom read a chapter from The Reading Promise aloud. Even Piper was in on story 
hour. Read alouds are nothing unusual for my family. 
My grandmother read to my mom for years and once she became a teacher of 4th grade she read to her students. My mom read to me faithfully each night until I turned 10. And now Jeff and I read to Piper. I am so grateful that I was raised in an environment that touted education, made time for family every evening, and that we still can gather together. 
It's these stories, these little moments, that make our life story worth living, worth documenting, and worth remembering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment