Monday, October 18, 2010

The Best Thing I Ever Ate...

Memory edition...

Jenna of Eat, Live, Run posted one of her most memorable meals. And it got me thinking about those memories that I cherish... that are dotted with or centered around food.
My favorite memory or the one I am focusing on right now is set in Mykonos, Greece. On a sandy Mediterranean beach complete with cabanas and striped yellow and white chairs.
Mr. R and I were 5 day old NEWLYWEDS.

We were starving and feeling adventurous... we also may have been a little tipsy on ouzo. We walked to a sandwich shack for a gyro. Giant roasted cuts of lamb and beef roasting in pits, homemade pitas cooked over coals, fresh tzatziki...The mixture of salt, meat, and fresh tomatoes and cucumber was amazing. We could have stayed belly up to that food stand all afternoon.
That was our first Greek gyro followed by several others in Santorini, Kusadasi, Rhodes and Athens. Greece has amazing food... moussaka, souvalaki, and dolmas, but the gyro will always be my ultimate favorite. And my most favorite vacation food.

The last bite!


1 comment: