Monday, July 18, 2011

A Southern State of Mind

The other day I was homesick for my Northeast. I was about to throw myself a pity party missing the whirl of the metro, the lobster rolls, visiting my favorite boutiques, missing night time walks through the monuments hand in hand with Mr. R. I wanted the Ocean City Boardwalk, a slice on NJ pizza, real custard with rainbow jimmies. 

And then I remembered where I live. 
Where neighbors invite you onto their porch.
Where doors are held.
Where saying thank you isn't an option. 
Where elderly men stop and comment on the cuteness of my baby.
Where tea is always sweet unless you ask for unsweetened.
Where shorts and t-shirt is the uniform.
Where the beach is 5 miles from my doorstep.
Where flip flops are appropriate footwear for date night.
Where people help you load groceries into you car.
Where wrinkles are part of the dress code. 
Where the sweetest peaches are grown.
Where men where seersucker.
Where farmer's markets are Saturday morning staples.
Where coffee is sipped slowly in early morning light.
Where 15 minutes late is right on time. 
Where my husband says I look beautiful make-up free wearing my jeans with hole in one knee.
Where my students say yes Ma'am.
Where hospitality is genuine.
It's like Zach Brown says,
"We like our chicken fried,
cold beer on a Friday night,
a pair of jeans that fit just right.
and the radio on..."

3 comments:

  1. What a good turn-around in perspective. I too often find myself longing for the things I don't have instead of embracing the things I do. I wish it weren't so hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being away from family is always hard even if I do live in paradise. Luckily my mom is coming in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these days we will meet again. Would love to see your mom again too. It really isn't that far from me but it seems like there isn't enough days in the week. Piper is really getting cuter every day.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete