Monday, May 25, 2009

This Young House Inspiration


I have logged too many hours combing through every detail of John & Sherry Pesternik's renovation on this young house. I first discovered them through DIY magazine and now I cannot get enough of their blog. I actually check it every morning after my devotional. (A girl's got priorites).

When Mr. R and I first started renovating our house I kept magazine clippings, print outs, and paint chips in a scrapbook that I would carry around like a bible. I didn't make a single decision before consulting the "house bible". In an effort to save paper and time, I have yet again stolen (borrowed) another idea from this young house. I created a mood board to describe and detail our goals from the dining room to den makeover.

We currently have an informal dining room that we use rarely. Truth be told Mr. R and I eat most of our meals in the living room at the coffee table. It just seems like too much effort to carry all the food into the dining room and bring all the dishes back. We have a very large great room in Casa de Republican and I would like to move the table into the greatroom and make the dining room into a den/TV room.

This would allow for our living room to be the formal space I have always imagined and still give us a totally relaxing TV room perfect for movie nights and afternoon naps.


Here's the plan:

Move out the dining room table, chairs and hutch. (The small buffet will stay behind). It provides great storage which we could totally use in the den.

Move in the two chaise and a new IKEA couch. All furniture will be beige. The room is currently very bright and mimics some of the colors we saw during our honeymoon in Greece & Turkey. The plan is to keep the space light and bright, but keep the furniture and accents neutral.

The space has hardwood floors which we plan to cover partly with a soft and squishy wool area rug. (I love the pottery barn Quinn rug, but hear very scary things about the shedding). I also want to move in two white bookcases to hold magazines, scrapbooks, novels, boardgames, and DVDs. I am also hoping to store the Wii supplies in these bookcases as well.

Of course we'll move the TV into the den, but instead of using the matching coffee table I would like to get a leather ottoman/coffee table. The Potterybarn one is costly, but should be an investment.

Since the walls are yellow, I think the yellow hemnes IKEA bedside table will be a great addition (next to the couch). We already have the wicker rocking chair (pictured on the moodboard) and I think it would look perfect infront of the bookcases.

We'll replace the current ceiling fan with a light fixture or ceiling fan with light attached. (I vote for the ceiling fan it get's hot here in FLA).

And lastly, a few accent pillows will add some extra color and carry over to the colors we already have in the greatroom. Let me know what you think... The plan will go into action as soon as school is out and the floors are in!

1 comment:

  1. SCORE: JC Penny has a rug similar to Pottery Barn's Quinn Rug for 1/4 of the price! It's in the outlet so let's hope I can still order it. Keep your fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete