Thursday, May 7, 2009

Learning to sew!

Ever since home-ec class in junior high I have had a desire to learn to sew. In sixth grade I learned to make a pillow and in seventh I made a small tote bag to carry my gym clothes. I begged my mom to let me take sewing class in high school, but she thought AP English was the better elective choice. As usual she was right.

While AP English helped me in college and grad school, I have never learned to sew. I can fix a button and quick stitch an open seem, but that is the extent of my sewing expertise. I would love to be able to make the summer skirts I pay $60 for in J.Crew or the super cute kerchief/maxi dresses I see in Old Navy, American Eagle, and GAP.

I know this sounds incredibly dorky, but I am so excited to find fabric and pattern and buy thread. I also want to learn to monogram. Can you imagine the cute cardigans with my initials?!

I might just becoming a little sweat shop worker this summer locked away in my home office with only the hum of my old fashioned Singer to keep me company. If you have any advice on where to get a few lessons give me a shout!

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any advice for you but....I want to join you!! I LOVE to sew!! And I say that while thinking that I really have no idea how. I tried learning how to knit a few years ago. In middle school I made my mom a velveteen rabbit-ish thing that she was kind enough to say she loved. I've always wanted a sewing machine. I'm excited to see where you go with this!

    ReplyDelete