Saturday, September 12, 2009

9/11

September 11th 2001, was the first national tradgedy I had ever expeirenced. I remember hearing about the Oklahoma City bombing and I read about Columbine, but I did not know those people nor did I feel a personal connection or loss.

I went to college in northern NJ a short 30 minute train ride from NYC. On the morning on September 11th I was worried about an organic chemistry test and by early afternoon my campus was on lock down. I spent that night attending a vigil in my school's gymnasium praying for family members, friends, and acquaintances that were lost or still missing.
Eight years later I am now a teacher to middle school students who have no memory of 9/11 and struggle to understand why a moment of silence is necessary to remember those who we lost in the twin towers, the pentagon, flight 93, and the firefighters and police men and women who gave their lives during rescue efforts.
Mr. R, a more gifted writer than me, wrote a response to Eli Saslow's article on teaching children to remember 9/11. (See below).

Today marks eight years since that terrible day of September 11, 2001. Many of us have memories of that day that we'll never be able to shake, but for children, that day is not even a memory - it's a lesson. I highly recommend you read an article in today's Washington Post by Eli Saslow.It's about one man's mission to remember his brother who was killed on 9/11 by creating a lesson plan that schools all over the country can use to teach about that day. Despite the obvious shortcomings of the lesson plan, the article did make me evaluate how we should teach about 9/11 to those who do not remember. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/10/AR2009091004425.html?hpid=topnews

Regardless of the many dark memories I carry from 9/11, the real lesson of that day is heroism and the unbreakable spirit of the American people. Think about the firefighters who rushed into the towers and the Pentagon - over 300 of them never came out again. Think of the thousands of people who lined up to donate blood just because they felt like they needed to help in some small way. Think of the thousands of phone calls from hijacked planes and burning buildings to husbands, wives, mothers, and fathers. Think of the prayer vigils. Think of the soldiers who were soon sent overseas - and who are still there, fighting to keep this from ever happening again. Finally, think of the brave passengers on Flight 93 - ordinary people who fought back knowing they would probably die in the process.

For those of us with these memories, it is our duty to teach the lessons of 9/11 to the next generation. So if you get a chance, thank a firefighter, police officer, EMT, or Red Cross worker. And if you have children, tell them why these people are heroes: They are the ordinary people that we never think about until we need them - but they're always there.

No comments:

Post a Comment