Sunday, October 21, 2012

Paleo-tober 2012

Last October Mr. R. and I went Paleo for two weeks. We had both stalled out on healthy eating the month before and we needed a nutritional clean eating jump start. On the recommendation of my friend Sharon we gave Paleo a try and we REALLY liked it. The meals are do-able, it's crockpot friendly, and I gain SO MUCH energy when I am eating well. I know October is on the way out, but there is no time like the present for a diet over haul. And who knows we might even ride the Paleo train right into November.

So what does Paleo mean exactly?
Paleo is a simple dietary lifestyle that is based on foods being either in or out. In are the Paleolithic Era foods that we ate prior to agriculture and animal husbandry (meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, tree nuts, vegetables, roots, fruit, berries, mushrooms, etc.). Out are Neolithic Era foods that result from agriculture or animal husbandry (grains, dairy, beans/legumes, potatoes, sugar and fake foods). Source: paleodiet.com

What does Paleo mean for Mr. R. and me?


We will be eating meat (anything that flies, swims, runs, or walks), most of the meat will be lean, grass fed, and organic. We will be eating vegetables TONS of vegetables. We will be eating fruit, right now our daily fruit intake consists of bananas, apples, grapes, pumpkin, and dates. We will be eating nuts (pecans and walnuts) and almonds in the form of almond milk and almond flour. We will also be eating beans and some cheese/milk/and Greek Yogurt. I know this is a paleo no-no, but we are easing into Paleo and I am not sure I could do this without my yogurt, beans and cheese.

Why in the world would I choose this way of eating?
I have been having stomach issues for about three months. I had these same stomach issues last fall and earlier this spring. I had been diagnosed with gluten sensitivity in the past, but I am a carb girl and I just decided to "deal with it". After not feeling well for almost a month I went back to the doctor and all the tests point to gluten intolerant. And my options are #1: Keep ignoring the facts and my symptoms and feel terrible OR #2: Try a gluten free lifestyle and see how I feel.

How long do I think I will last?
I know I should be saying "a lifetime", but really I have no idea. I need to give myself at least a month off gluten. This will give my body a chance to get rid of what has been in my system and give me a chance to see what being gluten free really feels like. Hopefully I will feel SO GOOD/AMAZING that I will keep it up. 

Weekend Rundown:
Friday breakfast was my last non Paleo meal and so far I feel fine. No crazy carb cravings. Friday night I made roasted butternut squash (with walnuts and goat cheese) and roasted brussels sprouts with bacon for dinner. We all enjoyed this, even Pip. 
Saturday: Breakfast:  I mixed 4 eggs with the leftover squash for a breakfast frittata
Lunch: Sweet potato, apple, and chicken sausage hash (image source)
Dinner: 7 layer Mediterranean dip and buffalo chicken dip with carrots, celery, and peppers for dipping. ***We had people over and these dishes were more low-carb than Paleo.

Sunday: 
Sausage gravy over a sweet potato (Mr. R. had biscuits with his gravy)
BBQ chicken salad (with black beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes, and lettuce) from the Cheesecake Factory (as much as the onion rings beckoned I abstained)
Leftover Buffalo chicken dip and Mediterranean dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment