Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Domestication suits me.

 I spent this morning performing my motherly and wifely duties. On a normal week I am only domesticated on Saturdays. On Saturdays as a household, we clean, grocery shop, run a million errands, and cook for the week. Since I am off this week I took advantage of an early morning grocery expedition and spent a few hours steaming, blending, and freezing baby food in the kitchen. 
Piper is now on stage two foods and is a big fan of fruit and veggie combinations. We also started oatmeal last month and she loves oats with apples, bananas, and raisins.
I was in a food rut and lacking creativity so I visited the baby food aisle for some inspiration. I love looking at all the different varieties and stealing their flavor combinations. 
A few of Piper's favorites include:
Pumpkin & Blackbeans
Spinach & mango
Mango, Banana, and apple
Pear, apple, and broccoli
Oatmeal, banana, and prunes
Oatmeal, apple, and pear
Pumpkin, banana, & cranberry
Carrotts & pears
Sweet potato, pumpkin, and apple
Apples & banana
butternut squash, apples, carrots, and prunes

I am a huge fan of our baby bullet and having used it for the last three months I can say we could not survive without it.
I steam most of the fruits and veggies (minus the mango, banana, strawberries, and prunes), make the combinations in bowls, drop them into the bullet, and blend away.
After I freeze the combos in the bullet tray or ice cube trays. I usually leave them in the trays overnight and then pop them out and place them in freezer bags. This amount should keep Pippa full for a little over two weeks. 

1 comment:

  1. I think it suits me too...and can I just say that I LOVE that you make your own baby food (and don't blame you one bit for stealing ideas from the baby food isle).

    ReplyDelete