Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It gets easier...

My friend Jess, who is mom to a 20 month old and a newborn, recently blogged about waiting for life to get easier. As I type this Piper is snoozing in her bassinet, clean clothes are being folded, and the dishwasher is running. Mr. R. made dinner and life seems easy.
But just two hours ago, I was at my wits end. Piper had not slept for more than 1 hour ALL DAY. Combine that with the 4 hours of sleep I got last night and we are talking about one tired Mama. She spent most of this afternoon crying and early evening crying/fussing/fighting sleep. I needed to run an errand and thought a ride might calm her. She was quiet for the 1st twenty minutes an then proceeded to scream (bloody murder) until we reached our desitination. I had my 6 week check up today an it turn out my breastfeeding woes are due to thrush. Will the doctor visits ever end?
Our house is messy. Laundry needs to be done. I didn't get to the gym today. Dark circles are taking over my eyes. Mr. R. is working longer hours. Piper thinks my parent led schedule is a joke. At 6 weeks old, she is the most stubborn person I know.
This is the new season of parenthood that we are in. This is a season I prayed for. This is a season that gave me that cute little girl I get to call my own. And this season will end. And she will grow. And she will eventually sleep at night. And one day I know I will miss when she was a cuddly chubby baby. And it will get easier.

Photos taken by our talented friend Cheryl Miner. 

7 comments:

  1. What BEAUTIFUL pictures! I LOVE them!

    I know it will get better. Hang in there! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL pictures, Hilary!

    It WILL get easier. Pretty soon Piper will ease into her own schedule and you'll figure it out. The first few weeks are so hard because they're so sporadic. One good day, one bad day. You think you have it figured out, so you pat yourself on the back for having it together and then all heck breaks loose the next day.

    It WILL get easier.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS-- sorry about thrush. I hope it clears up quickly for you. I've heard it can be quite painful.

    Also--I've been trying to comment on several of your posts lately and for some reason my new computer won't allow me to. Thankfully I still can from my laptop. Hopefully I'll figure out the desktop situation one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS PICTURES! I love, love, love the first one...and you look great! (despite how you may feel). Now, I need to go look up this breastfeeding thrush thing....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics of Pip! She is absolutely adorable! You are such a talented writer Hilary! I enjoy your blog :)Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I snapped that quick one of the two of you. :) You are awesome parents!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL stubbornness runs in the family... she will fit right in!

    ReplyDelete