Thursday, May 10, 2012

Plastic Menagerie

In college I was forced to read Tennessee William's Glass Menagerie. I hated it. My 18 year old brain couldn't comprehend why Laura was so obsessed with her animals, why her mother couldn't go out and get a job to help support the family, why Laura so desperately needed a suitor and why Tom was the one we should be mad at when it was his work buddy who was already engaged. I remember rolling my eyes as we discussed the plot and societal undertones. Maybe I just don't get T. Wills. 

 On the other hand, I pink puffy heart Piper's plastic menagerie. Each night during bath time we line up all her plastic animals and she chooses which animals are allowed to join her in the tub. She only allows two a night. And she totally has favorites. The whale and polar bear are almost always invited to the party, but sometimes the pink seal or the orange hippo sub in for polar bear. 
I am loving the little bits of personality that Piper is displaying. I love that she is loving music, that she dances, and that she is starting the sing to music during worship at church. I am loving that she has found her voice and is talking up a storm. She loves to have our undivided attention. Forget trying to talk to each other or another person. When Pip is awake we are very much living in the Piper show. And right now, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment