Sunday, August 9, 2009

Being a daughter again-

I moved out of my childhood home the summer of my 18th birthday. I was packed for the 4 year adventure of college and planned to leave my small Jersey town in the dust. I spent my summers working internships and my spring breaks visiting family in Florida. I saw my mom on holidays, but new I was never going to live at home again.

After graduation I started my graduate degree in NOLA and the opportunity to go home for holidays dwindled. The cost of airfare rivaled the cost of books and Christmas was my only opportunity to go home.

That summer I moved to DC to work as a research assistant and found that living in the same state as my fiance made life so much easier. With hurricane Katrina changing my plans for receiving a degree from Tulane I transferred to Virginia Tech and began my life as a soon to be wife. Living only three h0urs from home allowed for a lot more time to visit home, holidays, birthdays, and weekend adventures.

Now we live in Florida and my mom is starting a new chapter of her life. She has finished her masters, become a national board certified teacher, and will soon become an administrator in her NJ school system. We saw each other only twice this year and her trips seem shorter than they used to be.

My mom arrived Friday and I am so excited she is here to spend the nest two weeks with me. I have day trip to the beach and shopping planned with an excursion to IKEA. She has the best interior design and fashion sense I have ever seen. I grew up in a home that looked like a Domino magazine feature. I plan to cram in as much "mom time" as humanly possible to tide me over for the next six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment