Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Tradtions


I think one of my most favorite parts of being married is sharing holiday traditions with Mr. R and creating a few new ones of our own. Mr. R and I grew up in very different families.

He is from a big Italian family that gathers on Christmas eve for a large dinner (known as the seven fishes) and presents, followed by midnight mass. I grew up in a small Native American family that gathered on Christmas day. We had a family breakfast, followed by the reading of Luke 2, and the opening of gifts.

Jeff's family introduced me to the Christmas story and the Griswold Christmas. Both videos are watched in his childhood home multiple times from Thanksgiving to Christmas. (We now watch them on Christmas Eve day). And my family introduced Jeff to Christmas caroling to neighbors (we just celebrated 10 years of caroling!) and Christmas present clues (he still hasn't guessed a single one!).

This year we are celebrating Christmas in Florida with my family. We have combined many holiday traditions in hopes to create a Christmas that we both will love (hopefully!).

12/23: Massive cookie baking and caroling

12/24: Shopping with my Mom, Christmas open house @ my grandparents, watch the Christmas Story as it plays on TBS for 24 hours, midnight mass, one present opened before bed.

12/25: Christmas Brunch at my house (check back after Christmas for the recipes, very excited to use my Pioneer Woman cookbook), more presents, Christmas day run (a new traditions this year in hopes to earn more activity points to be able to eat pie!), and finally traditional Christmas dinner with family @ my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment